Saturday 23 February 2008

A Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Charity

Last weekend, I took part in the Carnival charity hitch-hike to Edinburgh and raised £50 for local Birmingham charities.

And my team was given the Fastest Hitch Award! Admittedly, this was after a whole weekend of debate because we actually arrived third. But we didn't hitch a single train (which is widely considered to be cheating) and were therefore given first place, woo!

It was a fantastic weekend which made me feel like a student again and it was memorable for the following reasons:

  • I was hitch-hiking with a French waitress and Superman. I was a Jedi :)
  • We got from Tesco Express to Edinburgh in eight-hour, including stops for breakfast and scones!
  • I was dragged shoe-shopping.
  • I rode in a Tuc Tuc.
  • I had a swordfight with Mel Gibson (far right).
  • We toured the Scottish Whisky Experience and learnt the art of tasting whiskey. Slanjeva!
  • We climbed the extremely narrow Sir Walter Scott monument and were almost blown off.
  • We went on aghost tour underneath Edinburgh and I photographed what could only be considered as a poltergheist much to the alarm of everyone else.
  • We partied in a Church-converted nightclub.

It was my tenth charity hitch-hike with Carnival and was one of my all-time favourites. Congratulations to Sam and Johnny from the new Committee who organised the entire weekend!

No comments: