Tuesday 22 July 2008

Congratulations Graduates!

j
Last week, over twenty degree congregations took place in the Great Hall of Aston Webb. Two of the seven Sabbs attended each ceremony as representatives of the Guild, which involves donning the Guild ceremonial robes and marching with the procession.

It also involves a heck of a lot of clapping.
h
I sat in six ceremonies myself and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them. I was surprised how many people I knew, despite graduating myself over a year ago.
h
The Medic graduation was memorable because it ended with the graduates standing and reciting the Medic Oath.
h
However, the most memorable was the Drama graduation for two reasons: firstly because the Drama students are so loud and flamboyant that every single graduate was congratulated with a chorus of whoops and hollers. Secondly, my girlfriend graduated in this ceremony!
h
This meant that I got to impress my in-laws by marching on stage with the rest of the processions. Bonus points!
h
Overall, presiding over degree congregations gave me the same sense of pride that I felt back in December. You really feel attached to the students after a year in office, especially after sitting through plagiarism appeal hearings and listening to students' hardship.
h
But when they finally get that degree and shake the Chancellor's hand, you see how happy, relieved and proud they are after years of hard work.
j
Definately one of the perks of the job :)
g

No comments: